Monday, May 10, 2010

It's a Girl Thing

Getting Dressed in the Morning: A Play in Two Acts

Act I
Me: "Cara, let's get dressed."
Cara: "OK!!" Runs into bedroom, excitedly. "I want to wear pink!!!"
Me: "OK, here, wear your Care Bear shirt and these pants."
Cara: "Nooooooo!!! No Care Bears!!" Tosses shirt to the ground in disgust. "Wear pink dress"
Me: "Cara, it's 50 degrees and raining today. Too cold for a sundress. Here is another pink shirt..."
Cara: "No!! Dress! I want to be a pink princess" Scowls in a decidedly unprincesslike manner. "Give it to meeeeee!!" Uses the nightstand in the closet as a springboard to pull down her choices. "Wear this!
Me: "Cara, get down, you can't wear a pink tutu to the dentist."
Cara: "Where is my princess dress?"
Me: "That's a costume. You aren't wearing it."
Cara: "Mommy, can you get out?"
Me: "No, put on this pink shirt and pants."
Cara: "OK, Mommy."
Me: Looking suspicious of my easy victory as I help her dress and then leave
Cara: Emerging from her room wearing a blue summer dress inside out. "I'm ready! But am I still the pink princess?"
Me: Returning to her room to find that not only had she completely changed clothes, but she had managed to hang the original clothes back in the closet. "Always."

Act II
Me: "Josh, wear this. Yaojie, wear this."
Josh: "OK."
Yaojie: "OK."

3 comments:

  1. Jamie: That is pretty typical of a four year old little girl! and equally typical five year old boys...LOL.
    When my youngest daughter was about 4,I was helping her get dressed one morning. All she would wear was dresses. When I had pants and a shirt for her, she asked "Why are you dressing me like a boy?". I said "I wear pants and I'm not a boy" She didn't really care....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, at least 3 times on Sunday I went in her room to find her undressed and pondering what to wear next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love it. that is my anya!!!! just like your cara!

    ReplyDelete