Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Little Bit of China




As our time left in China slips away, I'm trying to think about things to buy for Yaojie that he may want in the future. It's easy to see what he wants now: Food! Toys! More Food! But I am thinking of years down the line --what will he want to have from his birthplace? What will I wish I had to give him? We've bought him a traditional Chinese outfit (adorable!) and a corduroy hat, nice chopsticks, a framed silk children's picture, some odds and ends. I bought a photo album with traditional Chinese fabric in red (good luck) to put his 100 wishes in. I am looking for a nice piece of jewelry to one day give to his bride. I am keeping my eyes open for other things that encapsulate his culture to be given throughout his life. I like to think that one day all 5 of us (never will I travel again without my children!!) will come to China and see Yao's birthplace, the place where he laughed and cried for over 5 years. I like to think that Yaojie will return here, perhaps with his work one day, perhaps with his family. I feel sad about taking him from his culture and a little guilty, too. It's so unfortunate, the circumstances that led him to us --but at the same time, we are so grateful for the chance to have him as our son, to raise him, to give him a good life and to have a better life because he is in it. We will make sure that he is a part of two rich cultures and I will bring little pieces of China to give him along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment