Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Bonding Backwards




Yaojie and I play happily with blocks, we paint and smile at each other's work. If I read, then he wants to "read" beside me. If I take out my notebook to make a list, he takes out his to also write. We hold hands and one laughs when the other puts on a silly hat. Like any mother and her 5 year old son.

Yaojie and I cuddle in his bed to read or play with stickers. I marvel at his bath time waterfalls, each higher than the last. I come when he calls out in the night, stroke his sweaty head when he is upset. We delight together in the boats passing by our window. Like any mother and her toddler son.

Yaojie lays in my lap when he's tired, listening to me sing quiet lullabies. I carry him and he rests his sleepy head on my shoulder. He wants me near him and seeks me out when I'm not. Like any mother and her infant son.

We are bonding backwards in order to bond forwards. Learning our roles. Falling in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment